April 21, 2016 | 0 comments
We have been making excellent progress with our DI efforts. As this deal is more complicated than ones in the past, we are juggling a lot of interdependent tasks but making great headway. That is not to say there are not some significant hurdles remaining. Here is a quick update on our progress:• Lease Agreement - We have been exchanging comments with the landlord and so far seem to have resolved most of the major issues. We probably have a few more weeks left to...
March 28, 2016 | 0 comments
Really good news - we have signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to lease the San Leandro property (2085 Burroughs Ave). But before, you get too excited, we still have some major hurdles to get over.In our last report, we stated we had agreed terms and was waiting for the owner’s review of our financials. Well, that did not result in the outcome we expected. The owner expressed concerns and then insisted on some changes to the terms. So, of course we went back and forth a few...
February 23, 2016 | 1 comments
We have more good dedicated ice news to report!Our January newsletter described how we identified a potential property in San Leandro, submitted a letter of intent (LOI), and received a counteroffer. We have made great progress since then. Please read on...We spent considerable time analyzing two pressing concerns: zoning restrictions and our ability to sell alcohol. First, the alcohol issue. Our multiple discussions with a San Leandro planning commissioner and city council...
January 24, 2016 | 2 comments
Since our last report we continue to look for a location to build a DI facility and are not finding much. Then in December we identified a potential property located at 2085 Burroughs Ave in San Leandro (about 30,00 sq feet). We submitted an initial letter of intent just before Christmas. In mid-January, we received a response, which although not giving us everything we asked for, it appears we can negotiate a mutually agreeable deal. But, there is a “however”, so...
November 9, 2015 | 0 comments
Patience continues to be what is needed in our quest for dedicated ice. The property market is not cooperating with our needs. The few properties that come on the market that might work are either scooped up by businesses even before we have a chance to tour them or the landlords state they are not interested in our use. However, do not give up on our quest. There is a property out there with SFBACC's name on it; we just need to be patient and continue to press forward until...
July 30, 2015 | 0 comments
In the last post I mentioned a potential property in Oakland, just South of the Coliseum. Unfortunately, it is not going to happen. We were making excellent progress toward agreeing to terms. But another potential tenant came along and their industry more closely matched the current setup of the building. The landlord decided to go in their direction for this reason. In this seller’s market, this is more the norm. So, we will continue to scour the real estate...
June 12, 2015 | 1 comments
DI Enthusiasts, It has been a while since our last post to share the disappointing news about Bigge Street. Since then we have been scouring the real estate market throughout the Bay Area looking for suitable buildings. We have had a few bites, but continue to lose out to other tenants - one prepaid the first year's rent! Well, now we have some encouraging news. We have identified a potential property in Oakland, just south of the Coliseum (and 1/2 mile from BART). It...
February 12, 2015 | 0 comments
I unfortunately have really bad news to relay. The owners of Bigge St. have advised us that they will not proceed with a lease with SFBACC. Instead, they have accepted a lease offer from the adjacent tenant (Enterprise Rent A Car). We are reaching out the owner to fully understand the reasons for their decision and see if there is a possibility for them to reconsider, but view this as a very low probability. In the off chance their current proposal falls through, they...
January 14, 2015 | 0 comments
Due to the generosity of many SFBACC members and friends, we have blown through our first fundraising total of $250,000 and are fast approaching $270,000! Our next task over the next week is to get the lease negotiated and signed. We then move into the next phase of making dedicated ice happen - submitting a use permit application to the City of Oakland and waiting the 90 days for its review and approval. During this 90 days we have another critical task to achieve -...
January 9, 2015 | 0 comments
We are very pleased to announce that the member vote was a resounding "YES" for dedicated ice at Bigge Street. Of the 215 members eligible to vote, 163 members submitted a vote with a response of 131 in favor and 32 against. Wow, thank you SFBACC members for your belief in our Dedicated Ice Initiative! So what is next on our journey to DI? First, we need to complete negotiation of the lease (estimated to be ready for signature by Jan 15). Second, we need to continue...